May 5, 2012
If you attended one of our community film screenings last month, then you had the distinct pleasure of trying our refreshing apple coleslaw. This wonderful, tangy ‘slaw is great for picnics or anytime you want to transport food; since there’s no mayonnaise, it’s fine to leave out at room temperature for extended periods.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup diced scallion, more or less
- 1/4 cup minced parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup minced dill leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 large head cabbage (Napa, Savoy, green and/or red cabbage), shredded
- 2 large tart, crisp apples, cut into small chunks
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a large jar with a secure lid and shake well until combined. Or whisk together in a bowl.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing, adding only enough to coat all the vegetables. Chill until ready to serve / transport.
It’s best to let this rest for an hour or so after mixing together to allow the flavors to mellow; the cabbage will also soften a bit and exude some juice. Or let it sit for up to 24 hours if you like. Mix again before serving.
Sunflower seeds or walnuts would add a wonderful extra crunch and creaminess to this salad, but add them at the last minute so they don’t get soggy.