Why Plant Fruit Trees?
Planting fruit trees in civic spaces has many social, environmental, and health benefits. Here are a few:
- Greater access to fresh, healthy food, which improves the health and well-being of all residents.
- Improved air quality, which improves respiratory health for all residents.
- Reduced flooding and water pollutants due to stormwater run-off, which improves water quality.
- Increased shade and lower air temperatures, which reduces the need for energy-intensive air conditioning.
- Improved soil quality and decreased erosion.
- New habitat for birds and bees.
- Increased biodiversity in our food supply.
- A stronger connection to the growing of our food.
- The creation of inviting and memorable community gathering places.
- A multitude of opportunities for experiential learning.